Everybody's talking about it! It's the new thing! Oh hell. I'm terrified.
Our military is the best in the world. I wish our troops health, safety and a speedy return. Saddam Hussein has taken evil actions in the past and he will do so again.
I just don't know for sure that these reasons are enough for us to go to war.
- reliance by the United States on further diplomatic and other peaceful means alone will neither
- adequately protect the national security of the United States against the continuing threat posed by Iraq
- likely lead to enforcement of all relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions regarding Iraq;
- acting pursuant to the Constitution and Public Law 107-243 is consistent with the United States and other countries continuing to take the necessary actions against international terrorists and terrorist organizations, including those nations, organizations, or persons who planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001.
Bush's explanation seems to have three parts.
- Iraq is a military threat to the US
- Iraq is disobeying UN edicts
- Iraq supported the terrorists from 9/11
Can Iraq attack the US using conventional military methods? Can Iragi missiles, planes, or troops reach the US?
Isn't the US disobeying UN edicts?
Can a line be traced from the 9/11 terrorists to Saddam Hussein? I would buy general terrorist ties without further explanation, but I want more proof before I believe that this is retribution for the events of September 11th. I have an emotional attachment to the idea of revenge- I want revenge, but I want it to be on the right people, otherwise it's just misdirected anger.
It's too late to debate. We are taking our course of action, and I'm sure that the repercussions are already in motion. Be cautious. Be afraid. We won't be untouched by war forever, and we might have started something that we will regret. We should have waited for the UN.
Then came Peter to him, and said, “Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?”
Jesus saith unto him, “I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.”
King James Version of the Bible
Book of Matthew, Chapter 18, Verses 21-22
Then again, didn't a lot of Christians get eaten by lions? Sometimes you have to draw a line. I just think that line should have been drawn amongst international agreement.
The BBC has terrific news coverage. The thumbnails are from their broadcast on the local public television station.