“Who is this Bharat fellow?” you might ask, and that would be a reasonable question, because you might not know about my late nights struggling to program my way out of a paper bag. Volunteering on the Gallery project has taught me more about programming than all of my programming and computer science courses together. On the other hand, I had never quite gotten object orientation except as a handy way to do things until the elaboring variable scoping puzzles presented in Scheme form in CSci 1901. Bharat was my almost-mentor for a long time. When I was at my lowest he tried very hard to talk to me about it, despite not seeming to understand very well. He used to kick me in the ass when I was dragging. I used to have a faux bumper sticker up in my cubicle: “I’d rather be programming.” If it weren’t for Gallery, and by extension Bharat, I wouldn’t be, and I wouldn’t call myself a programmer.
Things that will stop me from posting this fall:
- 16 credits of classes (”Post in class,” she says. “Buy me a new laptop,” I respond)
- Actually working at work. I love my job. We aren’t changing the world, but, uh, free movies at Coffman? That has to be a good thing.
- When I get home from all that my brain will be well and truly fried, so I will likely just watch tv and write code until I fall asleep.
- I have a friend who actually appreciates my fistfuls of metaphor. She might just receive all the written output that I would produce.
- I might get tired of all the narcississtic blather that I produce and go back to using this site as a place for public notes.
- I like to make lists
- Lists of lists
- Tra la la
Oh yeah, I mentioned that I am considering writing a novel, and Kassie suggested that I write it on my blog. I’ve seen that done, and it only works if the reader has kept up to date because of the reverse ordering thing. I suppose that I could write a little php magic to put novel posts in order on a special page, but, uh never mind. I shouldn’t have said anything, because once you say that you are going to do something you look like a jackass when you don’t end up doing it.
It should be noted that I still post more than everyone except maybe Paul.